Riding with the wind. When I'm sad, she comes to me.
With the thousand smiles, she gives to me...

Fly on my little wing.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bayshore Half Marathon

I may have started a tradition after running the Detroit Half dressed as a pirate (pictures here). My mom, sister and I all signed up for the Bayshore Half Marathon in Traverse City. Well race day was approaching and I just wasn't feeling the "race" part of racing. So again I decided to add a little fun to the event. First I decided to don my Iceman Volleyball shirt as well as my aviators. My friend Mike gave me some purple compression calf sleeves as a joke so I also had to appease him and wear them for a race.

Now anyone who's ran in college is familiar with an event called the Beer Mile. Since my first Marathon was Bayshore back in 2009 I had observed some spectators enjoying the race by partying early and offering beers to runners. In addition I knew some college friends that were specifically going to be doing that. Thus I decided to attempt somewhat of a modified Beer Half Marathon. There were no real rules, only that I would stop and drink any beers that were being offered, not knowing what kind of quantity that would entail.

Race day dawned about 40 degrees, sunny and calm; basically perfect running weather. The race started and I began my adventure. My buddies house was at the one mile mark. I arrived to great fanfare from the three guys and was handed a can of Budweiser. It was quickly consumed and I was off, actually feeling pretty good.

Some miles later, maybe around mile 6 there was a guy hanging out in his drive with a sign that said "Before, During and After Party." He had four small cups on a table next to a half keg. I stopped and had one, two, three, then heard "I think you're only suppose to have one..." four. I mean there was no sign saying there was a limit. Off I went.

I knew there was a quality group of partiers around mile 10. Actually it was closer to mile 11 and I think I was their first taker for the day. Five small cups of beer with fantastic crowd support I was on my way again. Another runner, having observed this gave me a, "You're crazy!"

So I finished up the race pleased with my performance and found they were giving out free chocolate milk. Bonus! Then I met by my friends Rob and Dani, who had brought me a cinnamon roll and bacon. Then I thought was this might be the best race ever! Now obviously this was a for fun, lighten the spirits kind of race. But I also worked on my Iron Stomach Training as well as some initial data gathering for fueling with beer. I really think this is an area with untapped potential.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment