Riding with the wind. When I'm sad, she comes to me.
With the thousand smiles, she gives to me...

Fly on my little wing.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Second IM Experience (IMCDA) Pre-race thoughts

Sometime after Wisconsin, I decided I needed to do another IM before Kona in 2010. So one night that fall/winter (I don't really recall) I signed up for IMCDA. Again this is the unabridged account I wrote just prior to doing the race.


Since I had quite a few comments on my note from last September I thought I'd write another one. I will be doing my second Ironman, in Coeur d'Alene Idaho this upcoming Sunday (June 27). They will have live athlete tracking from this website if anyone wants to check out race updates (if you're that bored this sunday) http://ironman.com/events/ironman/coeurdalene/?show=coverage Just search my last name or something and you'll find it. I'm flying out of TC tomorrow morning, accompanied by Dave Anderson (family friend that lives in TC and is also an Ironman). We're flying into Spokane, where we will be renting/stealing a "phat whip" (as all rental cars are) and driving to CDA. Sparing more details I hang out and start racing at 7am (Pacific Time Zone). Continue reading for additional training/equipment info. Otherwise...you've got the gist of it.
I've got the same equipment set up as in Madison last September(Specialized Transtion), with the addition of some new SRAM S60/S80 wheels (which I mention like that means anything to you), which I think are pretty sweet. Oh, and all of this equipment is tentative, assuming FedEx got it Idaho in one piece. In terms of training compared to where I was last fall...I'm behind...which will make this an interesting race. I've been cycling much more, ever since Mike (aka Chino) and I had our bikes and trainers in our apartment in CO last winter. I've also been riding with a bunch of fast guys on a regular basis in Petoskey, which has really upped my game on my bike. That's the good news. Now the bad news. I haven't been swimming a lot, just out of lack of motivation, so I'm hoping to still be able to swim around 1:05 (compared to 1:03 in madison), maybe slower, we'll see and I'm not that worried about getting through the swim. The worse news is that upon returning from CO I developed pain in my left hip and did a bunch of stuff to try to make it better. It wasn't getting better. I went to PT and was told I have weak hip abductor muscles (aka Gluteus Medius) and did some stuff to get it stronger. As of right now my longest run was 10 miles last Saturday, which went alright. I've done no tempo/hard runs and my greatest weekly mileage was 22 last week. So I guess I'll just have to suck it up.
I'm going to do a couple things different the second time around. For those of you that read my last note, where the post race shower was the most painful part, I'm planning on applying copious amounts of Vaseline (included that solely for visual image, sorry). I've changed my water bottle set up on my bike, but no one really cares about that. I'm going to try to consume more calories early on the bike, and continue near the end of the bike, because I started to bonk on the run last time. I'm also going to try and take the run out much slower than before. I think getting a nice easy 8 minute mile would be a good start and then just see how it goes. In reality I'll probably get sucked out at closer to 7 and then just hold that until something hurts to much, or I reach the finish (ideally). We'll have to see.
       Going into this race I know I'm not at the top of my game physically but I'm not really that concerned. I don't really feel much pressure as I'm already qualified for Hawaii and I'm not going in expecting a super performance. That being said I still would like to crush some killer splits on my bike, but we'll just see how the run goes. Overall the goal is to finish without hurting myself further as October is the ultimate goal. A decent time comes next. I'll report further when I get home Monday nightish.

No comments:

Post a Comment