Riding with the wind. When I'm sad, she comes to me.
With the thousand smiles, she gives to me...

Fly on my little wing.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Winter Update and Spring Surprise

In case you missed this post a while back, I crushed my tibial plateau skiing in February of 2011. The injury got better through out the summer, but I still was unable to run. The winter was more of the same and it seemed like the progress had plateaued. Much better than when I first injured it, but not back to the level I would like. So it was some easier trainer sessions, a bit of skate skiing, and more of my core/weights/stretch band routines.

Discussing skate skiing can be left for another time, but as a quick note it's amazing how I can be a proficient alpine skier, have a superb engine...and so utterly fail at skate skiing. But with a sport that's so technique based that's how it goes. I got much better as the winter went on. Besides the fact we had a poor winter for snow, which also limited the number of times I could get out. Back to the injury update.

So as the winter progressed and 2012 came, I was not a very happy camper. I wasn't able to progress the intensity of my trainer workouts due to my knee, which was very frustrating. It's not that I couldn't have ridden hard, it just didn't feel like it was a good idea. And I've tried pushing through enough injuries before, to know that it wasn't a good idea. With two MRIs, and a few possible thoughts on the problem, the next option was surgery. After lots of thought my thought process was as follows: It was apparent that giving it time and rest, wasn't super effective to get back to the level of competition I strive to be at. Plus there was always the lingering thought that if there is some type of cartilage/bone defect as a result of the injury, I would like have the full picture so as to adjust my active lifestyle accordingly for the future. So I decided to get a knee scope. More on that in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment